Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Video of Kaws owner Brian Donnelly

I chose to post about graffiti artist turned famous Contemporary artist Brian Donnelly. I selected Brian because he attracts people form all walks of life to his exhibits. Traditional art lovers as well as modern day street kids can be found at Brian's showings. Mr. Donnelly is probably the most influential artist throughout the street fashion world.  His work can be seen everywhere throughout major cities such as New York, London, and Tokyo. Most of Brian's work pictures cartoon characters from his childhood with X's for eyes. Donnelly's most recognizable work would most likely be "The Companion" which is Mickey Mouse with skulls and crossbones for a head. Brian states that he selected Mickey as the face of his brand because it is the most recognizable cartoon character around the world. Seeing his work reminds me so much of Japan because his characters are depicted in every major shopping center throughout the country. He reminds me that art is not just meant to be presented in a gallery setting. 


The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum. "Kaws Companion Passing Through." Aldrichart.org. http://www.aldrichart.org/exhibitions/kaws2.php (accessed June 25, 2013)

6 comments:

  1. Kaws has been so successful, and I think part of that has to do with the fact that Donnelly created a very versatile character by applying his crossed-out eyes to all kinds of figures - from Mickey to the Michelin man! I like that his work has a sense of humor and yet maintains a sort of mysterious, thoughtful feeling. Thanks for sharing! (p.s. I watched this clip when it aired - I always love the CBS Sunday art segment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Leah it seems as if you are very in tone with art. I consider myself more of a trendy person so I only know about contemporary art. I wish that I had as much artistic knowledge as you. I am extremely creative in the eyes of today's youth but a healthier knowledge of art as a whole would help me better connect with the masses.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Kaws and I am glad that I took time to watch this video. This art style is amazing. I love how he came from creating his art on the streets to creating his art for huge Hip-Hop stars. The colors used in his art remind me of the beautiful light colors of candy waiting to jump off the shelf in a candy store. The colors Kaws uses to create his images appear to do the same. They appear to jump off the canves or whatever surface he uses to create his art. Walter I want to know if there are any other artists similar to Kaws because I really like his style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Torrence I have a lot of artists that I enjoy but I can not tell you on here because I am selfish and don't want anyone else using my artists. My second favorite artist is Ron English (nobody better use him because I called dibs for next week). I enjoy these two artists because they represent the trends of today. I am so not a history type of person, I can look at art work from the past and not enjoy it as much as artwork other people because I did not live during those times and sometimes don't fully understand the message without research. When the instructor stated to post on contemporary artists I knew that I would enjoy this every step of the way. p.s. read every week because I am totally in touch with current trends

      Delete
  3. Hey Walter, I just made a post about graffiti in the city of Atlanta. I find the raw talent of these artists very amazing, many of them have never taken a formal art class...which is a another problem with our education system (oooh I can't go there LOL). Great video on Kaws.

    ReplyDelete