Sunday, July 14, 2013

Kim Jung Gi: Master of the Free-hand Sketch


This is an older video, uploaded in March, but it still makes my jaw drop.  The artist’s talent featured in the video amazes me and pushes me to work ever-harder at observing the world around me, capturing it with my imagination and translating it with the aid of a pen to paper. 

In this time-lapse video, Korean artist Kim Jung Gi is shown creating a wonderful and truly inspiring sketch of the  Republic of Korea’s flag. Not just a representation of a flag, but Kim Jung Gi confidently sketches out this flag that is made up of beautifully individualized characters, the citizens of South Korea, all free-hand. No pre-made sketch underneath. Just the white paper and the tip of his felt pen. Certainly makes me look at my own sketches with a very critical eye afterwards. 


1 comment:

  1. What's most impressive about this to me is the removal of the option of editing. It's an exercise in going with your decisions and not turning back. The fact that this illustration was captured via time-lapse video only confirms the artist's ability to go with his first decisions...because the only recourse otherwise was to either start over or creatively compensate. Visual artists like Kim Jung Ji and sculptors have an innate ability to see the end when, at the beginning, most of us only see a shapeless mass or a blank canvas. Definitely impressive and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete