Saturday, July 27, 2013

Animated feature film Rise of the Guardians

http://youtu.be/dnwzOxiR22c
 I watched the animated film Rise of the Guardians over the weekend.  At the end of this film, I thought to myself that this would make a great blog subject since my passion and major is animation. I am really not a huge fan of 3D animation, but I must admit lately my views are starting to change. The 3D animation of this film was breath taking. The colors that were used and the art direction is marvelous. The story took characters we all know as children and gave them a modern day twist, characters such as Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Sandman and Jack Frost. Rise of the Guardians was the brainchild of William Edward Joyce who sold the rights of Rise of the Guardians to Dreamworks.  Peter Ramsey, an illustrator and storyboard artist, was hired to direct this animated film, making him the first African American to direct a big-budget CG animated film. http://youtu.be/dnwzOxiR22c

3 comments:

  1. 2 thumbs up to the creation of SandMan. Although I am not a huge fan of the story, but I loved the way it played with particles in the animation to create the emotion of something that is not there but you can create it through the power of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame this movie didn't do better in the box office. Was is marketing? Was it because it wasn't Pixar? It something that leaves me bitter that movies that have such detail aren't given the same attention in the box office as other animated movies. But Rise of the Guardians, despite my love for it, isn't perfect. In fact, it could have been better story and design wise. I own the art book of Rise of the Guardians, and to see some of the earlier concepts of the movie is a real treat and shame that it didn't turn out that way. For instance, Pitch was originally going to drag the moon closer to the earth, enveloping it in a permanent eclipse. The Guardians would then have to travel to the moon where Pitch had developed a horrifying nightmare kingdom, where he stands, a ominous, other-wordly beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been more interesting and greater animation work. It seems that came short in budget and reduced it to minimum?

      Delete