Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pushing the boundaries too far in the name of Art

Our recent session regarding the Performance Art, made me think:Why such boring or weird act is considered art from the art society?
In my understanding performing art, should make us think about issues in life that normally are disturbing, uncomfortable and odd. They do draw attention to the human behavior.(Introduction to performance art)
Let's talk about Marco Evaristi (Wikipedia). In this YouTube Clip, he talks about his experience with art and how his artwork are pieces that "involves feeling and experience". He believes that he shouldn't "do beauty just to make beauty but ...do pieces that...has a significant" for him. He believes that his work had,have and will have an affect on the society. I agree that the artist work should have an affect on society otherwise what is the point of an expression with no result?
But how far an artist is breaking all the boundaries to make an expression? What is the price of audience interaction with the artist? His 2007 work of art; Polpette al grasso di Marco; made me question these boundaries. When is the time that art society should limit an artist from practicing his freedom of expression?
Evaristi's intention of such work of art was to question cannibalism from an artistic standpoint. In this work he mixed his own flushed fat ( liposuction ) with meat to prepare meatball over pasta which then served to public in the gallery setting. Watch the video if you wish. In my opinion not everything should be called art just because it does raise a question and it does interact with audience ( either live or via media).


3 comments:

  1. I understand your view. There are many different works that I don't personally consider to represent art. Art is nothing more than a matter of opinion. Regardless, of what an art critic or anyone else says it's just our own perspectives.

    A lot of this over the top "art" bothers me as well. Some of these people may suffer from drug addiction, alcoholism, or other psychological disorders. Their suffering and I don't know how often that is actually factored into the equation?

    Unfortunately,as often as I may want to say, I don't want to see this piece of work or why, did this "artist" do this? This is not art I, have to choose to be tolerant. Not to like, but to tolerate. Perhaps, someone doesn't like what I do and he or she tells me to take it down because it's not art. What system are we creating for ourselves? If, we start to create a list of rules that mandate what is art and what is not art then, what may come next? That may mean someone has the authority to tell me what I may read, what I may watch, and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art is definitely expression and opinion. Performance definitely makes one question many things especially in the execution stage. For some people is the using of ones body and another and opinion. Not sure if I am explaining it all correctly, but I do find so something interesting when it comes to this controversial art form.

    ReplyDelete