Monday, July 29, 2013

The Cube Houses in Rotterdam



I was talking to someone about my hometown Rotterdam (in the Netherlands) earlier today and she mentioned the "Kubus Woningen" (Cube Houses) I thought it would be a one good to share on here as well.

There is a lot of architecture in the city and some very recognizable points/ sites. The Cube Houses are one of these sites. The Cube houses are actual houses in the shape of a cube on its side. When you look at is from the outside you would think everything on the inside would be all at an angle but this isn't the case. The floors and most things are straight, except for the outer walls. The houses were build in 1977. There are 38 cubes and 2 bigger ones, and they're all attached to each other. A house contains out of 3 floors. There is a show house/ model that is furnished like a regular house that people can visit, so they can get an idea what it'd be like to live in one. There is also a part turned in to a small hotel recently.

I personally don't care for all the colors on the outside too much, and I don't think I would want to live in it either. It all has become to look a little dated to me. However, they are so iconic and are just a part of the city; it wouldn't be the same without them.







2 comments:

  1. Denise, this is absolutely amazing. I wanted to be a architect, but I ended up in advertising somehow...LOL
    I do love the contemporary use of simple shapes in the design. With the housing market being very tradition over the years, the "box" concept here makes you rethink living in the 21st century. I'd purchase one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Thank you for sharing this. I've got to get back to The Netherlands and this time visit Rotterdam.
    John Alford

    ReplyDelete