Friday, July 12, 2013

Contemporary Art in Iran





I chose to do my research on Contemporary Art of Iran. In the process I saw so many awesome works that I like to share. One of them is Qajar (read it as Ghaja’ar) : series of studio-photographs by the Iranian photographer Shadi Ghadirian Qajar Photo Series
In these photographs Ghadirian( artist) is trying to capture the conflict between tradition and modern life style that Iranian women are facing in their country. Qajar was an old Dynasty in Iran. At the time photography of women was something new and mostly belonged to the Royal families. During Qaj’ar’s Dynasty the females were posed in similar scene and dressed as appeared in the picture holding something valuable to them or to the time.
By adding an out of place item to the traditional theme, the artist is creating a voice for all women in Iran. The sense that everything is moving on but traditions are still so strong that holding women back in many ways. Knowing the culture and living in those limitations I could not find anyway better than the way Shadi Ghadirian portrays the conflict of two worlds.
                                                        Qajar Series

2 comments:

  1. I find the blank expressions on the women's faces interesting. It's almost like they are not present or they have no voice. Their expressions stood out to me more than the objects that they were photographed with. I wonder how Iranian critics respond to Shadi Ghadirian's work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blank face were the characterisitic of the original Qajar's pictures.I don't know whether it was because females were not supposed to show their teeth and smile or what ... but now that I am thinking about it, I can say females being too loud or laughing never been a good thing in Iran traditional culture. Something that I could never accomplish.

      Delete