Monday, July 1, 2013

Before I Die





Before I Die is an installation piece in New Orleans. Designer Candy Chang used an old house as the canvas for her new artwork. With this piece she wanted people to think about what they want to do before you die. She used chalkboard paint and then stenciled out the words "Before I Die" and . She provided some chalk and now it was up to people to write down what they want to do. Soon all the blanks were filled out and people started writing everywhere. It became a very successful and influential installation and inspired other people and cities to do their own versions of it all over the world.

When someone close Chang passed away, this helped her see what was really important to her and with this piece, she could help others with this as well. I think it became so successful because it takes a minute out of your life to actually think about what you want to achieve in life. People are always so busy and might forget what they really want. It is a simple way to get your attention and make you want to write down your own answer.

http://candychang.com/before-i-die-in-nola/

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful concept and Chang's "canvas" could not be more appropriate. I am sure that viewing this piece would leave one with an overwhelming sense of mortality, emphasizing what our true values are. A very somber and reflective reaction from me! Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am really moved by this piece. If there was a home here in Atlanta, I would surly visit. Since I don't know of one, I am still moved to flow with the concept and create a "before I die" piece just to have. Writing out your dreams are always a good concept...they will never be forgotten. Thanks for sharing...I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete