Monday, July 8, 2013

In Defense of 5 Ptz



If you talk to me outside of class (and maybe inside as well), I make no mystery of the fact that it was modern day graffiti that first piqued my curiosity into the world of "art" and how people communicate using it. Growing up in Decatur, GA, there weren't too many examples floating around here to stay regularly inspired...but later, two of my friends who moved to Atlanta from the East Coast told me stories of areas in New York where artists regularly shared their work with the world, and the people didn't rush to clean or wash it out. They actually embraced it. One such place is called 5 Points (5 Ptz).

Recently, I was able to visit 5 Ptz for myself. Many of the greats whose work I only followed from books, music videos, a few films and a documentary were all either featured or had once visited here. It was an amazing experience and easy to see why it's referred to as the Graffiti Mecca.

Unfortunately, I came across an article a few months ago mentioning that the buildings comprising the area were scheduled to be demolished in favor of updated, high-rise apartments. A couple days ago, I located an update on the issue. It can be read here. I have mixed feelings on the issue. The owner appears to be interested in helping preserve the spirit of the place, but just not the actual art. Perhaps I'm reading his intentions wrong, though...

Nonetheless, that brings me to my thought for this week's blog/journal...at what point should art and esteemed, community-supported installations be eligible for landmark status or some other type of formal means of preservation? I understand the occasional civil and municipal pressure to expand and renovate certain areas of cities, especially in the spirit of gentrification. But how much weight & leverage does the defense of artistic expression truly have? What should the standards or criteria be? Should it be based in educational, historical or financial impact? Or is there room for aesthetic, artistic and even emotionally-centered arguments?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in Atlanta my entire life and I love the Little 5 Points area because of this very same reason.I love the fact that the people embrace this art form. Graffiti was the first art form of Hip-Hop ( I know I stated this in one of my response last week, but it is true). Artistic expression should have no limits,but when it comes to Graffiti I feel the artist should be careful due to children. The only financial impact graffiti should have is on the community. I feel that when graffiti is created really well, it can improve the look of a community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having a "graffiti mecca" is a great artistic asset to a community, even if many people don't recognize the impact of graffiti art. There is difference between artless vandalism and what you see at 5 Ptz. If they do carry on with this project, I think it would be great to at least designate a large area of wall space for graffiti artist to continue their legacy in this area!

    p.s. Saw this half-grafitti French hotel and though it was a neat way to bring graffiti indoors:
    http://www.highsnobiety.com/2012/03/01/the-half-graffiti-hotel-room-by-tilt/

    ReplyDelete